Monday, January 10, 2011

My blog the Job Requirement???

So needless to say blogs have become this thing in our world which one, who uses a computer, can no longer avoid.  I also found recently in my job search that not only can you not avoid them, a successful one (someone please tell me what defines blogging success) can be a job requirement? Are you kidding me?  In searching through a variety of marketing director postings I came upon a number of jobs (nearly 1 in 5) that not only requested experience with social media, but required a successful blog, to show that you know what you are doing?!?!  Now I question this primarily on the fact that they were not basing this on anything necessarily related to ones job.  They are looking to see if you, Jane Jobapplicant, have a blog, with followers.  Which requires you, Jane Jobapplicant to not only be computer savy, informed on social media practices and procedures, but also in addition to all of this.......have something interesting to say personally about something people care about.  Not to mention this sure as heck better be something mundane and socially acceptable, because you will need to provide the link to your future employer.

That said, I began to look at blogs.  This felt first like morbid curiosity, and then I decided to be strategic about it.  Who do I know with a blog?  Well only one person design-aholic.  Now I have a blog I know of to look at.  Topic: crafters ADD (the woman is amazing). Popularity:  I don't know and I don't know how to check.

Now do I have a hobby or interest that is a cornerable market.......not really.  There's the bike thing, but it's a real surface hobby, I'm no expert.

So, so what.  So do I need to have a blog, no.  Do I think it might be fun? Sure.  So, here I am all of me, all my caviots, interests, hobbies and opinions.  Enjoy, share, and live.

No comments:

Post a Comment